Saturday, October 11, 2008

I am not my mother's daughter

At least when it comes to candy. If there's any at the office, I'll eat it, but at home I forget it's there. Whereas Mom has been known to mock-yell at me for not telling her about the M&Ms I'd bought for baking. If there's candy in the house, she can't resist it.

So I forgot about the giant bag of Halloween candy until today, when I craved a little sweetness after dinner. It's not lame little lollipops or miniature Tootsie Rolls, either. I buy the good stuff. Milky Way. Butterfinger. Snickers. And one of Mom's favorites, Three Musketeers. All stowed away in a high cabinet with the extra cleaning products and paper towels.

In fact, I bought this bag on Sept. 16, the day I wrote my letter to Costco. If you click on the link, you'll even see the candy there in my cart. (And no, Muriel Cooper of Costco Community Relations never answered my letter. I got no response at all.)

I really did buy the candy for Halloween. But one piece, or three, won't hurt. A gal needs dessert once in a while.

If the kids leave any, Mom, I'll save it for you.

8 comments:

  1. Candy is my kryptonite. I loves it all. Esp. Kit Kats. And Reeses. *drool*

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's getting to be that time, isn't it? I will have to stock up soon. I hide it in the closet until halloween as hubby would nibble until it is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I am your mother's daughter! Because candy like that wouldn't last long in my house. I hafta buy stuff I don't like if I'm gonna keep it around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have worked my way through that bag a long long time ago. My mom, on the other hand, has amazing resistance and was known as a girl for keeping any candy that came her way around for months...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with the "eat it as fast as it arrives crowd." I have a friend, a single male, who lives at the end of a dark cul de sac. Each Halloween he buys bags of his favorite chocolates. For the trick/treating neighborhood kids, of course. Then at around 6 PM on Halloween night he turns off all his lights and sits in the living room, in the dark, and eats the candy. It's his holiday ritual and he's sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom could keep candy around until it went bad. Me-not so much lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always buy a bag of Halloween candy even though we never have trick or treaters. Gotta be prepared though. Then I get to eat it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This will be the first Halloween that I am not working in a long time. I'll be interested to see how many kids actually show up!

    If it's anything like past years, though, the weather will be miserable, so I may have a lot of leftovers.

    ReplyDelete