Monday, October 27, 2008

Silly kitchen gadget No. 27

I once made the mistake of roasting a head of elephant garlic and eating almost the whole thing myself, with nice crusty French bread and some runny brie. Or maybe it was Camembert. I was having one of those sybaritic, indulge-yourself kind of evenings.

Oh yes, roasted garlic is yummy. But eating a whole head of it by yourself is not advised. Not only will you suffer a certain amount of gastric upset, but everyone, even your dogs, will recoil in horror from the noxious cloud of garlic that emanates from your every pore for days after.

Do you really want to spend $30 on a countertop garlic roaster to find out what that's like? Trust me, you don't.

10 comments:

  1. that's a waste of space, I love rosted garlic, but I usually make it when I am roasting other things anyway... and to everyone else, KITT IS RIGHT... you will smell like garlic for days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there has got to be someone out there that actually owns all of these little doo-dads....and in my mind they live in florida

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad about the smell, because they say there are great health benefits to eating garlic. Oh well, maybe just a little at a time ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi, sounds like you've been there!

    db, I'll be you're right!

    Joanne, yes, I suggestion moderation. Toss some garlic in the oven when you're roasting other things, as Mimi says. Having a dedicated gadget runs you the risk of having no friends left.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha and so attractive, too! Who wouldn't want a big WHITE plastic looking garlic head on their countertop?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I once ate a head of roasted garlic each. Double the pleasure, double the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see this silly gadget in some future collectibles store.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So THAT's how to keep the vampires away on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being Italian I think reeking like garlic is sexy but yeah, the emissions can make you very unpopular. That's why I only go garlic crazy when everyone at work is being unreasonable. That'll teach 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  10. JGH, I believe it comes in black and terracotta, too. Any one of which is equally unattractive.

    Oooh, Amy. At least your misery had company.

    Claire, or failed products museum.

    Good one, Betts! Show them this, and they'll run screaming.

    Deneph, ha! This was more stench than an Italian could stand, I think.

    ReplyDelete