Monday, October 13, 2008

Silly kitchen gadget No. 25

Here's another item I found at the Viking Store, which on first glance seems silly, but may in fact be quite useful, especially if you're in the habit of trussing your food often.
The FoodLoop's bright colors are a little jarring when you're used to seeing roasts and such tied up with kitchen string. But unlike string, they're heat-resistant and reusable.

They don't stick to foods or pans, don't splinter like toothpicks, and are easy to put on and take off without having to tie knots and use scissors. They can be tightened down small, or linked together to make a larger loop. And there's no risk of losing bits of them in whatever you've cooked.

One of the clerks told me she used one on the grill and accidentally dropped it through the grate, but it just got a little blackened on one side and didn't melt before she could fish it out with tongs. They're heat-resistant to 675 degrees F. And they're dishwasher-safe (the six-pack – or was it four? – comes with a mesh bag for washing).
My conclusion: Silly to look at, but not silly to use. I may go back and get some to try a little trussing myself.

9 comments:

  1. WOW! This is a gadget I could get down with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to evaluate my amount of trussing to see if this is worth it. I'm sort of fond of kitchen twine. Once in awhile I'll wrap sandwices in parchment and tie them with kitchen twine for picnics because it gives is a rustic, old fashioned touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks handy! I am likely to get some if I see them around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a devotee of the Food Loop. Case closed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Groovy, mimi and Blue, it's worth considering!

    Betts, I like that idea for a picnic.

    dg, how long have you had yours? I've never seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read this post. I will be on the look-out for some of these, they would be great for Thanksgiving and Christmas to say the least. Plus, I love to roll meat with flavourings inside, and these look much neater than twine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carolina! They do look pretty useful, don't they? Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm all over this! After a summer heading into winter of raising poultry, I'm all about an easy way to truss.

    I was silly to scoff at silpats. *self-thwap* This is just as genius.

    ReplyDelete