Sunday, October 26, 2008

Roasted pumpkin seeds

For a while I was addicted to the pumpkin seeds you can buy at the convenience store, but they're very salty and fattening, so I quit.

At Halloween, though, I'm entitled to indulge in the output of my jack-o-lantern. A dash of Worcestershire, a sprinkle of salt, a glug of olive oil. Mix it all in with the seeds, then spread them on foil on a cookie sheet in a 400-degree oven. (Don't worry about cleaning up the seeds; the goopy stuff turns crispy and tasty, too.) After 10-15 minutes, give them a stir, then keep roasting them until they are golden brown (another 5-10 minutes). You need to keep close watch; they can burn really quickly.

8 comments:

  1. I love these so much...I think I like them more than the pumpkin itself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really interesting. I have never tried making them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly what I needed. I want to make them for my daughter's school party on Friday, but I've never done it before. You saved me googling it. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was always cleaning them that put me off and therefore they went into the trash. Goopy stuff turning crispy and tasty soundsgood! I was in overdrive yesterday and curried a pie pumpkin and yes, I threw away all the seeds. :-(

    I got a largish pumpkin at Albertsons for $3 that is waiting to be carved so I guess I still have those seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I buy these at King Soopers in the bulk food section and sprinkle them on my salad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look sooo good. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. db, they're definitely a bonus!

    Blue, I'm guessing Singapore doesn't have a lot of pumpkin carving. But if you get smaller ones for baking, you can roast those seeds, too.

    Glad to help, Betts! You'll need a lot for a party, though. Hope it's fun.

    Manisha, yeah, no need to clean. I like the crispy bits almost better than the seeds.

    You said it, Mimi.

    Sybille, I'm guessing you get the shelled ones, though.

    You're welcome, Joanne!

    ReplyDelete